Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition of the hand caused by pressure of the median nerve that runs through the wrist. Our clinic has a high success rate of treating carpal tunnel syndrome. This includes educating our patients on what to avoid, and using hands on therapy that quite often leads to avoiding surgery.
Carpal Tunnel Symptoms
Symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome may include weakness,numbness, tingling or pain of the hand.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Causes
Our Sydney Chiropractor initially assesses the cause of the carpal tunnel syndrome. These may any include:
- several types of Arthritis
- Pregnancy which causes fluid retention that may then compress the median nerve
- Fractures of the wrist
- RSI i.e. a condition caused by performing repetitive tasks over a long period of time, eg. housework, typing at a computer, and work such as gardening, digging and construction
- repetitive sporting movements such as swinging of tennis racquets and golf clubs
- commonly overlooked causes include nerve problems in the neck which can interfere with the nerves supplying the arms and hands, therefore causing pain, numbness or weakness.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Treatment
- stretching or strengthening of the affected muscles, ligaments or tendons
- friction therapy to reduce scar tissue and adhesions (ART)
- mobilizations of the hand, wrist, or elbow
- education on what postures to avoid
If necessary, referral to another specialist may occur depending on the situation at hand.